Hungarian Food (was: Re: [geeks] the mail debate (please read!))

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Fri Mar 15 09:59:25 CST 2002

On Thursday, March 14, 2002, at 11:04 , Andrew Weiss wrote:

> Hungarian food is great because my friend always called it peasant
> food, but it was some of the most filling comfort food you could get.

I can vouch for that, as I am 1/2 Hungarian. (My grandparents on dad's
side were from the old country.)  Growing up I got to sample all sorts
of delights, as many of the family lived in the Hungarian section of
Bridgeport, CT.

I remember as a kid going to visit my great aunt and uncle.  Aunt
Margaret would invite us in saying, "Oh, I'm so glad you could come.  I
just baked a little something."  She would then lead us into a room
filled with baked goods...  When we went to leave, she would say, "I
know you can't get any good Hunkie food in NY, so I went to Drotos
Brothers (bucher/deli) and gout you a few things." (A few things was a
sack full of nifty meat goods.)  Of course, you had to accept it all,
not only because it was good, but because it's rude to not accept food
in a Hungarian household.

Pretty much all of the older generation is gone now (My dad is in his
70's), so I don't eat it like I used to.  A good thing, as I may avoid
my dad's triple bypass he had when he was 60... (Good food, high in fat!)

BTW, Wargo = Vargas, got changed at Ellis Island, like so many others...

-Pete