[geeks] a little advice about DNS and naming conventions

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Fri Mar 15 02:27:59 CST 2002

Kurt Huhn wrote:

> > But in this context they are about a zillion miles appart -- completely
> > different and unrelated in any way.
>
> True - but why go all ballistic about the use of the terminology?  I
> mean, really, why be so anal?  What purpose does it serve?  Why be so
> antagonistic?

I see this is somewhere near as anal I can be sometimes, when people
spell "Megabytes" as "Mb". That's "Mega BIT"!

MB == Mega Byte
Mb == Mega bit
mB == milli Byte(?)
mb == milli bit(!?)

The funniest example of this was on a datasheet for a firewall software
(which infact is coded by guys WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING, and is a
damn good one!), but incorrectly stated "10 Mb/s throughput - tested".
I pointed out that 10 Megabit ain't that special, and they responded:
- "what? That's Megabyte..."
- "No. You stated Megabit..."

And the story goes on...

--