[geeks] a little advice about DNS and naming conventions

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Mar 14 21:55:34 CST 2002

> nope -- they are "slave" nameservers, and they slave from a "master",
> and this time the config file uses the same terms too, so I don't see
> how you could get confused about this....

Thought read somewhere that "slave" was deprecated in favor of a more PC
term, child.  Now I can't find that doc...  Regardless of terminology or
symantics used *I* am *not* confused.  You assume I am, but I honestly
can't figure out why you manage to make such leaps of assumption...

> > Besides.  WTF difference does it make?  Secondary and slave are
> > equatable in the minds of a lot of people.
>
> But in this context they are about a zillion miles appart -- completely
> different and unrelated in any way.

True - but why go all ballistic about the use of the terminology?  I
mean, really, why be so anal?  What purpose does it serve?  Why be so
antagonistic?

Kurt