[geeks] a little advice about DNS and naming conventions

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Mar 14 21:36:16 CST 2002

>   I'm sorry, but in this case I have voice my agreement with Greg,
> Kurt...I've been doing this a long damn time too, with a few of the
> larger nameservers on the internet at one point...the reason I became
> pedantic about the whole primary/secondary vs. master/slave
> terminology thing is because I've had to explain it to many a customer
> who thought it was "just ok" if their "secondary" nameserver went down
> because their "primary" was still up, so the secondary shouldn't be
> getting any hits. (!)

Please don't be sorry - everyone's got a different take on things, that
doesn't make anyone wrong.

In the world of DJBDNS it doesn't really matter - as each nameserver you
use has a copy of data.cdb on it that you created on the "master" and
copied down to the "slave".  Where DJBDNS is concerned there is no such
thing as master/slave - just the first on the list, and the second one.
In this case, if your master goes down, even if it is primary, it won't
make a lick of difference.

It's precisely because of this master/slave and primary/secondary
bullshit that I started using DJBDNS.  I really can't stand BIND -
really.  Suach a pain in my ass...

Kurt