[geeks] a little advice about DNS and naming conventions

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Mar 14 20:05:28 CST 2002

> Then please try very hard to change the way you describe slave
> nameservers, even amongst your co-workers.  If you continue to call them
> "secondaries" you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Aren't we supposed to call them "child" nameservers now?

Besides.  WTF difference does it make?  Secondary and slave are
equatable in the minds of a lot of people.  If I tell you I just drank
and a cabinet, but had to visit the bubbler to wash it down - what do
think I'm talking about?  There are several ways to describe the same
thing - and no one way should ever be considered "the right way" to the
exclusion of all others as long as there are more than just clones of
Greg Woods walking around.

FWIW, I've been doing this for a long damn time and I've called them
primary/secondary, master/slave, parent/child and probably a couple
others I've forgotten about.  People understand me, and I understand
them.  Your narrow view of the universe according to Greg is getting
annoying...

Kurt