[geeks] a little advice about DNS and naming conventions

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Mar 14 14:42:19 CST 2002

[ On Thursday, March 14, 2002 at 13:53:23 (-0600), Bill Bradford wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] a little advice about DNS and naming conventions
>
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 02:47:56PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > There is no such thing as a "secondary" nameserver.  Those who think so
> > are confused by the use of the word "primary" in the original BIND boot
> > file to describe a zone file loaded by a master nameserver.
>
> Lets see.  I think you're nitpicking.  EVERYONE i've run across in over
> six years doing this for a living, has called them "secondary namservers".
> It may not be the correct TECHNICAL term, but its the one everyone I know
> uses.

Then please try very hard to change the way you describe slave
nameservers, even amongst your co-workers.  If you continue to call them
"secondaries" you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

(if you only started doing this six years ago then I'm surprised you
picked up the wrong term -- perhaps you worked around too many old
fogies who didn't know any better!  :-)

> Are you *always* this anal?

When misconceptions lead to people making mistakes, even if for good
intentions, I will do what I can to correct them and hopefully at the
same time spread a little more enlightenment to interested third parties
at the same time.

--
								Greg A. Woods