[geeks] car question (RESOLVED)

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Mar 11 23:18:04 CST 2002

> bill did the manly thing and installed it (i was tool girl) and the car
> started immediately, made some tic-tic-tic noise and then quietened down
> and resumed its old purring. i tried the windows, and they went up when i
> pressed up :) i havent checked the top yet but will shortly.

Amy, the tic-tic-tic noise is because you had no oil in the heads or
anywhere else inthe top of the engine.  The ticking is the valves and
lifters (and rockers, depending on car) making noise due to a lack of
lubrication.

If it only did it for a few seconds, you've got nothing to worry about.
However, you *must* change the fluids ASAP.  There's a good possibility
that condensation formed inside the block (depending on how long it sat)
and can make the oil foam - making it totally worthless for lubrication.

You might also want to change the transmission fluid (if you have an
auto) for the same reason I mentioned above.  Basically, change all the
fluids...

Also, if you let it sit on less than a full tank of fuel, fill it up
with some fresh fuel and pour a bottle of "water remover" in the tank.
can't recall the actual name - it's mostly isopropyl alcohol which will
bond with the water and make it less likely to kill the performance of
your engine and damage your fuel filter.

Kurt