[geeks] car question (RESOLVED)

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Mon Mar 11 17:27:59 CST 2002

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Fogg, James wrote:

> Got it! Sounds like you may have had the jumper cables backwards.
>
> With NO battery to speak of, there was nothing to oppose the polarity
> reversal. The engine didn't start because it was turning backwards.

i think it didnt start cause the batter was so uncharged, honestly. even
the door dinging annoying sounds wouldnt come on, the charge was so low.

i'm a *badly* neurotic female. i literally lose hair when i worry. so ive
been worrying since noon about this stuff. so we went and got a new
battery just to see what would happen in order to staunch the loss of hair
from now until thursday (payday, when a battery wouldve been more
affordable).

bill did the manly thing and installed it (i was tool girl) and the car
started immediately, made some tic-tic-tic noise and then quietened down
and resumed its old purring. i tried the windows, and they went up when i
pressed up :) i havent checked the top yet but will shortly.

suffice to say, i'm happy. i disengaged the car alarm sometime back and am
not sure if i'll ever turn it on again, seeing as how i drive my car so
rarely--i've only put ~600 miles on since last march.

we both figure that, like you say, something was afoul with the jumper
cables.

yes indeedy, i am one happy, relieved woman...at least til i write a 300$
check to midas on thurs. ;)

thanks for your help, it really does do me a world of good!

> Unfortunately, if this is what happened, it can do damage. The voltage
> regulator, radio, electronic ignition and engine management system
> (computer) might give you trouble. If the car doesn't run with a new
> battery, I would start checking the computer (not easy) and ignition system
> (easy). On the other hand, these devices (hopefully) have polarity reversal
> protection, which isn't hard or expensive to include in manufacturing and
> design.
>
> I have reversed jumper cables before (twice). In my case one car (a
> Cadillac) got very upset about it, and the other (a Ford truck) didn't care.
> Each time the battery had some life left and let me know how careless I had
> been (big sparks).

this battery was dead. 8 feet in the grave dead. i suppose we were very
lucky :/

--a