[geeks] Booze and Religion

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat Mar 9 11:53:11 CST 2002

> Most v's encounter a huge amount of pressure to conform when they
> become v --- from both society and from friends and family ("just try
> this piece of juicy bacon ... I'm sure you'll like it"). The pressure
> from society to conform is less blatent, but relentless.

I suppose - but greeting a fun little poke with a vitriolic remark is,
well, counterproductive.  And it only serves to further certain
stereotypes.

Then again, I can see where you're coming from.  When I started a
low-carb (not no-carb) diet to combat hypoglycemia, the Italian side of
my wife's family was aghast.  I was constantly offered pasta, rice,
bread, pies, etc.  I simply said "No, thank you." and moved on.  Then
again, I'm not easily rubbed the wrong way - except when utter stupidity
is involved.  I also have a skill of effectively shutting off my ears
when I don't feel like listening to someone.

So when you explain it like that, I can see your point.  Thank you...

Kurt