[geeks] Web Development (New title - more in line with subject)

Peter Street peter.street at lazerfx.co.uk
Thu Mar 7 07:00:49 CST 2002

From: Michael A. Turner, Sent: 07 March 2002 12:35

> 	Maybe I have a bad view of web development. I guess I have met
> many ECPI and such hacks that took 4 months of web design classes who
> think they are real programmers because they figured out how to change

> the background colors on a web page. I have no tolerance/respect for
> those people, especially since they all seem to have an attitude. I
> consider them > separate from the truly talented people who can create

> something new on the web, people who have the artistic ability to
create
> things in flash or add some functionality that is cool. I can create a
web
> page myself, the code is easy. Making it look good is another feat in
> itself.

I quite agree :D  I'm a web developer.  I don't consider myself to be
among those who can make the site look really good, however I can do
ASP.NET database development (OK, it's Microsoft, but it's a damn sight
better that PHP, and it's fully compiled and so rather fast), XSLT
transforms, XML output (And I'm working on a system to make the site
look good in whatever browser you look at it, from Lynx to Mozilla,
Konqueror to IE, Opera to Nutscrape - basically, you have a transform
for each browser, and it takes the XML input and spits it out).

Those who use stuff like FrontPage (Ew... nasty) or something like that
to output their data - well, they don't deserve to be called web
developers or designers, they need classifying under the 'wannabe' label
:D

<Snip>

> Michael A. Turner
> Systems Engineer