[geeks] Is it me, or is this group awfully cheap?

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 4 09:08:39 CST 2002

~ > Ok, I live in the cheap capital of Canada, and this group seems to
~ > jump at anything that is offered for free. I am not sure if
~ this is a
~ > bad thing, or just a group of people more then happy to take
~ > advantage of a great deal, but it seems tome that this group and
~ > their frugality would be the envy of my entire city.

Well, yeah, I am cheap.

Not that I don't think things are (usually) worth what people ask, its just
that I am trying to achieve something in my life besides being king of the
computer hill. In other words, I own a house, which I am expanding, in an
expensive neighborhood, with a fat mortgage. There was a day when I had
every digital toy available,  some of which "normal" people never even heard
of, like a PBX, (which I still own). Now I scrounge dumpsters and the local
dump (surprising what people throw out). I have replaced fast computers with
other toys (boat, tractor(s), snowblower, rototiller, two SUV's of recent
vintage, hot tub, decent furniture, etc.). Besides, I have found that if I
*wait* long enough, every vintage computer I want comes to me for
free/low-dough, including a Digital PDP 11/23 and a Sun SPARCCenter 2000E
recently. Now, if I didn't have the house with a nice bone-dry cellar with a
garage door in the foundation I would have no place to put the PDP or
SC2000E.

So yeah, "if its free, its for me". I won't satisfy my computerlust at the
cost of my other interests.