[geeks] baby stuff

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Fri Jun 28 14:40:15 CDT 2002

I worked with a guy who I thought put it pretty well.  He decided kids
weren't for him, but when I started oozing excitement over the prospect
of my 2nd at work, he equated kids to a real serious hobby, at least in
priority, money, and time spent, and that's about right.  When I was
mountain biking seriously it was an everyday, multi hour thing, used up
all available time, all available money, and made me feel good about
myself.  He chose to spend all available time, money, and energy on
computer related things (at that time it was EQ).  I have decided he was
about right, and I have signed away 20 years of other hobbies, but just
look at them, they are the only hobby that you get out more than you can
possibly put in, and unless your hobby is advanced AI, the only one that
can give you feedback from a different point of view.  So yep, they are
a lot of work, as they do more on their own they get to be less work
physically, but man they can wear out your brain.

Tim (dad mode)