[geeks] New Spam Disclaimer

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Jun 16 14:15:53 CDT 2002

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Mike Meredith wrote:

> I think that the current view is that in the UK, those silly disclaimers
> aren't worth the paper they're written on (so don't print it out). I'm
> impressed that you're familiar with the UK's Computer Misuse Act though
> :)

That was big news when it was ratified.  I applaud any and all legislation
that spits in the face of the "well, you weren't wearing a cup, so it's
your fault that it hurt when I kicked you in the crotch" mentality.  I
wish we'd get something like that in the US; particularly a law against
the 100% disclaimer of warranty on software sold to the general public.

Or, if nothing else, repealing the bad laws that have encouraged such a
mentality to be accepted as normal.

--Jonathan