[geeks] New Spam Disclaimer

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Sun Jun 16 12:03:26 CDT 2002

hmv at meredithm.fsnet.co.uk writes:

>I take it you haven't met spammers who forge reply addresses with valid
>domains/addresses yet? They make the usualy form of spammer look
>positively saintly.

>(I deal with abuse at port.ac.uk which is a domain that has been used by
>US-based spammers)

I was just talking with a friend last night about the future of
the spam issue.

As I see it the most likely scenario is this:

a. ISPs start enabling spamassassin (or equivelent) by default.
	When AOL does this, it initiates an "arms race" obviously,
	with spammers testing their attacks on spamassassin, but
	nevertheless, the filters will win.

b. ISPs modify thir spam filters so *they* can still spam their
	customers. (I think there are already cases of this happening?)

c. ISPs start offering unfiltered spam access to their customers,
	for a hefty fee.

d. We're back where we started, but with more money moving around.
	But perhaps, the higher-priced ISPs will be spam-free.

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
----- Being poked in the eye with a sharp stick makes baby jesus cry! -----