[geeks] attention (old) mac geeks: pds/nubus/l2 cache questions

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Thu Jun 13 13:26:45 CDT 2002

so i have my ancient quadra 660av here (with plans to rescue my se30 in
the future). i've got some questions about its hardware.

first, it seems reasonably easy to overclock it to 29mhz (from 25). has
anyone done this? a friend overclocked his IIsi and said it was fun and
worth it.

second, i see a 128k l2 cache board available. this appears to use my
PDS slot. I had hoped to be able to find strange nubus cards on ebay and
play with them. is there no way to use the l2 cache and a nubus adapter?
also, if i get the l2 cache, but dont actually use macos (at the moment
I am pondering booting macos 7.6.1 and openbsd), will other operating
systems make use of it? i'm not sure how that works.

third, would it be possible to move a faster cpu into the same board?
i.e., i just replaced my ipx cpu with a weitek unit. would it be
possible to get a 40mhz cpu out of an 840av and just plunk it in there?
what other upgrades are available?

thanks,
alex
--