[geeks] which would be better

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Wed Jul 31 16:33:29 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, July 31, 2002, at 04:41 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 04:19:07PM -0400, Andrew Weiss wrote:
>> I have a dual PPro machine in a PR440FX motherboard that has onboard
>> Crystal CS4236 audio.  I am not sure if it is PCI onboard or what.
>>
>> Would an ISA SB AWE64 be an improvement?
>
> Well, you leave out what could be usefull specifics.  For instance, do
> you care only about PCM quality, or is the onboard synth also
> important to you?

It's for games.  I have a set of Yamaha speakers with subwoofer.  There
is no audible hum from the CS4236 onboard audio and the sound is fine.
I just have this extra AWE 64 in the closet and was wondering if it
would be an improvement.  This machine runs Windows 2000 Professional at
the moment and will be running Adv Server eventually.

P.S. Does anyone know of any software SSE/MMX emulators..?  I may have
asked before, so forgive me if this is a repeat.  From what I have been
able to find, there was one but for Linux only.

-Andrew