[geeks] which would be better

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Jul 31 15:41:47 CDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 04:19:07PM -0400, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> I have a dual PPro machine in a PR440FX motherboard that has onboard
> Crystal CS4236 audio.  I am not sure if it is PCI onboard or what.
>
> Would an ISA SB AWE64 be an improvement?

Well, you leave out what could be usefull specifics.  For instance, do
you care only about PCM quality, or is the onboard synth also
important to you?

If you care about the onboard synth quality, the AWE64 is probably a
significant improvement.

Otherwise, if the output of the Crystal chip sounds clean (when not
playing audio there isn't any sound coming out, as well as when
playing audio it doesn't have any pronounced buzzes or hums), then I'd
think a better pair of spearkers would benefit you more than a new
sound card.  But, assuming you already have the AWE64, and assuming
clean output, I'd pick which ever card was easiest to configure for
your OS of choice.

--
Joshua D. Boyd