[geeks] Why?

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Tue Jul 30 10:28:37 CDT 2002

 > That sounds like a 60 year renewal schedule.  Was that with replanting
> trees, or without?  If the hill is a dusty (or muddy) mess after you
> are done, doesn't that imply serious runoff in the years before the
> trees return?
>
> I realize that trees are a renewable source, but I'm still not
> confident that they are managed very well.  Further, I wish we would
> see hemp being used for paper rather than wood more since hemp is much
> more renewable.
>
> --
> Joshua D. Boyd

 	Clear cutting only involves grabbing all the trees over a certain
age from an area. Their are alwasy sapplings, shrubs, and grass help hold
the hildside up. Also the roots of the trees stay in place to keep the
hillside stable. By the time they rot out the new trees can hold the
hillside in place. when I was wanderring around with the bulldozer I would
come across stumps from the last cutting still in the ground, and still
hard.
	It was not going to be replanted this time I knew. The person we
where cutting the wood for was going to build a sub-division on the land.
Previously I don't think it was replanted but it was set aside as a tree
farm so the land was left alone to regrow on its own.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org
http://www.whro.org