[geeks] Why?

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Tue Jul 30 10:21:33 CDT 2002

> You do have to be careful when clear-cutting though, cos without the
> vegetation the land can erode AWFULLY quickly.  It's also
> worth noting that
> fires are not necessarily a bad thing.  Forest plants have
> evolved to cope
> with 'em and many species in fact benefit from occasional
> fires.  There was
> some research done in .au a few years ago which showed that
> putting fires
> out actually caused more damage than it prevented in some
> types of forest.
>
> --
> Lord Protector David Cantrell     |
> http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

	Burning is very important. One of the big things I used to love to
go and do in montana when I was out their was huckleberry picking.
Unfortunatly huckleberrys have a real weird growth cycle. They will only
grow in a burnout spot for 2 to 5 years after the burn and that is where you
have to find them at. The uncle I have that is a mountain man (and probably
the source of many bigfoot sightings being 6' 5" 300+lb and partial to long
unkept hair.) used to know where all the good spots are but you had to watch
for bears as they knew where the good spots were also.
	Unfortunatly it a lot of areas burning is banned. The only real
break that happens is logging. By making patches of woods without large fuel
sources (big trees) the heat of the fire dies down in those areas and
becomes easier to contain.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org