[geeks] Why?

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Tue Jul 30 09:55:31 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 10:31:11AM -0400, Michael A. Turner wrote:

> 	A further note that I must add to people who think logging is wrong.
> I would like to point out that trees are a RENEWABLE resource. Point in
> fact, the land we were clearing, this was the third time it had been clear
> cut. It had been previously cleared in 1940 for the war and in 1880 to build
> the railroads. The land heals rather quickly as long as you don't build
> houses on the cleared land or dump chemicals on it. also it makes things
> safer becuase it is a lot less prone to burn afterwords.

You do have to be careful when clear-cutting though, cos without the
vegetation the land can erode AWFULLY quickly.  It's also worth noting that
fires are not necessarily a bad thing.  Forest plants have evolved to cope
with 'em and many species in fact benefit from occasional fires.  There was
some research done in .au a few years ago which showed that putting fires
out actually caused more damage than it prevented in some types of forest.

--
Lord Protector David Cantrell     |     http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  " Norton Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files.  This
    provides more security than wiping with decimal values. "
            -- from the manual of Norton Systemworks 2002, pg 160