[geeks] Why?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jul 30 09:54:57 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 10:31:11AM -0400, Michael A. Turner wrote:
> 	A further note that I must add to people who think logging is wrong.
> I would like to point out that trees are a RENEWABLE resource. Point in
> fact, the land we were clearing, this was the third time it had been clear
> cut. It had been previously cleared in 1940 for the war and in 1880 to build
> the railroads. The land heals rather quickly as long as you don't build
> houses on the cleared land or dump chemicals on it. also it makes things
> safer becuase it is a lot less prone to burn afterwords.

That sounds like a 60 year renewal schedule.  Was that with replanting
trees, or without?  If the hill is a dusty (or muddy) mess after you
are done, doesn't that imply serious runoff in the years before the
trees return?

I realize that trees are a renewable source, but I'm still not
confident that they are managed very well.  Further, I wish we would
see hemp being used for paper rather than wood more since hemp is much
more renewable.

--
Joshua D. Boyd