[geeks] Go Apple....

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jul 29 18:08:51 CDT 2002

On July 29, jodys at helluin.org wrote:
> > Perl has never even had a valid reason for existing, never mind being used.
>
> That is just harsh, perl has always been a win in some
> cases, or no one would use it.

  This doesn't mean it's a good language, or even the best choice for
ANY application.  As a case in point, I call your attention to
Windows.  It wins in some cases because suits smile when they hear
Microsoft.  This doesn't suggest that Windows is a good product.

> It's not like their
> is a insidious perl conspiracy that brainwashes new
> unix users into only using perl.

  No, but a lot of the Linux crowd are very "image conscious".  To be
an "in-crowd" Linux weenie, you have to know Perl.

> Finally anyone who writes more than 300 lines in
> one perl program, needs to drop the keyboard,
> come out with his hands up, and taken to the
> proper authorities. :)

  On this, however, I must agree.  Not that you should care, but I
think we probably all agree on most of the basic principles here.

     -Dave