[geeks] Go Apple....

doctor obnox son of a bitch drobnox at visi.com
Mon Jul 29 17:33:28 CDT 2002

dave at cca.org gorpa duppa meego zook:

> jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu writes:
>
> >A lot of BASIC programmers don't have the concepts either.  It is
> >possible to be a real programmer in BASIC, I think, but not all BASIC
> >programmers are real programmers.
>
> I think of Basic as having the disadvantages of assembler without
> the advantages, and with a thick coat of glossy paint thrown
> over it.
>
> >I have seen some very masterful displays of programming done in
> >AlphaBASIC (a derivitive of business basic, that runs on the Alpha
> >Micro mini computer), a language that is amazingly bad (arguably worse
> >that VB in my opinion).
>
> And Business Basic traces its lineage back to the MAI Basic Four
> minicomputers of the 70s. Imagine an AS/400 that made you work in
> basic rather than RPG.
>
> Ugh.

My father got one of them surplus in the late 70's, and ran it as the
main teaching platform at $PREP_SCHOOL, where he worked. I spent my
Junior year at the same $SCHOOL in GErmany, and while I was gone, the
building it was in caught fire, and the computer wound up as a twisted
molten hulk in the basement. Dad used the insurance money to buy the
school about 20 TRS-80s.

--
Here's that flapjack                      ........Eric J. Gustafson
Put it in your pocket, 'til I get back    .........................
Ain't got time to shake your hand         .........drobnox at visi.com