[geeks] House with cheap electric

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Jul 29 17:04:24 CDT 2002

[ On Monday, July 29, 2002 at 08:10:57 (-0700), Fogg, James wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: [geeks] House with cheap electric
>
> Well, Canadian pennies earned at Canadian wages, so it's equal to US
> pennies.

I suppose -- folks sometimes say the "cost of living" is lower in some
US states, but perhaps they ignore the lack of public healthcare and such...

> So you average about 9 cents/kwh? Thats half of what I pay in New Hampshire.
> I was at 8.5 in Pennsylvania, but they have access to coal-mine tailings
> that they burn for free there. If you ever visit the coal region of PA
> you'll understand why coal tailings are in inexhausable resource (manmade
> mountains of waste 2000 feet high spread over 4 counties).

Indeed -- I don't want to complain too much about the price of
electricity here, though I do hope they get the Pickering nuclear plant
back online soon and hopefully they can turn off the coal-fired plant
off again (not that the smoke bothers us -- it all blows south :-).

> You might want to have your meter checked. They do become inaccurate
> sometimes. I had an electric bill jump by 15% in two months and demanded
> they check the meter and it was bad.

Hmmmm.... I should probably borrow a clamp-on ammeter and do that.  I
doubt it's out by that much, but you never know.....

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>