[geeks] House with cheap electric

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 29 10:10:57 CDT 2002

~ According to our latest bill Toronto Hydro is asking 1.34 per kWh for
~ distribution, and a full 6.46 per kWh for generation .  There's also
~ now a wholesale energy surcharge of 0.735/kWh on the first
~ ~1.2mWh and
~ an almost infinitely smaller 0.7/kWh on the rest.  Finally there's a
~ $28.44 "customer charge" (imagine that!  we have to pay just for the
~ privilege of being their customers!).  Now of course those
~ are Canadian
~ pennies, but still it's a hell of a lot

Well, Canadian pennies earned at Canadian wages, so it's equal to US
pennies.

So you average about 9 cents/kwh? Thats half of what I pay in New Hampshire.
I was at 8.5 in Pennsylvania, but they have access to coal-mine tailings
that they burn for free there. If you ever visit the coal region of PA
you'll understand why coal tailings are in inexhausable resource (manmade
mountains of waste 2000 feet high spread over 4 counties).

You might want to have your meter checked. They do become inaccurate
sometimes. I had an electric bill jump by 15% in two months and demanded
they check the meter and it was bad.