[geeks] House with cheap electric

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Jul 29 10:00:06 CDT 2002

[ On Monday, July 29, 2002 at 07:18:15 (-0700), Fogg, James wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: [geeks] House with cheap electric
>
> Whatever happened to the telecommuting revolution that was supposed to
> happen? I telecommuted for 3 months once, it was heaven.

I was going to say that I tele-commute, but that's not really true since
my only real office is the one in my house....

I wish my electricity was cheaper though.  Even after turning off all
the really power-hungry iron (old Sun-3's and such) a few years ago it
seems our power bill is ever increasing.  With the AC on we're
apparently burning well over 80 kWh/day.  The UPS' report just over 2 kW
and that's 24x7x365.  There's one 1.2 kW AC unit going 24x7 too, and
each of the other two window units are on quite a bit these past few
weeks....

According to our latest bill Toronto Hydro is asking 1.34 per kWh for
distribution, and a full 6.46 per kWh for generation .  There's also
now a wholesale energy surcharge of 0.735/kWh on the first ~1.2mWh and
an almost infinitely smaller 0.7/kWh on the rest.  Finally there's a
$28.44 "customer charge" (imagine that!  we have to pay just for the
privilege of being their customers!).  Now of course those are Canadian
pennies, but still it's a hell of a lot

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>