[geeks] Rack Mount = 50db +

Leo Green leo at nurgle.net
Thu Jul 25 12:41:11 CDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, Michael Schiller wrote:

%> I've had my SC2000, and an SS1000 both running in the same room as my
%>workstations (both of those machines are loud) and not had a problem
%>with it, but when people would visit they would complain of the noise. I
%>also already have a loss of hearing, I wonder if that loss will protect
%>me from further damage by being around loud machines? Pretty soon I'll
%>need to get a hearing aid, but hopefully I'll have a job with health ins
%>before that happens :)

I dont know if you were serious or not, but hearing loss will NOT protect
you from further hearing loss.  Hearing loss, by exposure to loud noise
(Sensorineural hearing loss) is caused by sound pressures killing little
hairs in your inner ear.  This can happen even after you've lost hearing.
This type of hearing loss, you'd start losing
high frequency hearing first, then more and more as the exposure
continued.

If you're losing all hearing at once, you dont have Sensorineural hearing
loss, you probably have conductive hearing loss.

This is what they test for when they make you wear those headphones that
beep at you.

<disclaimer> I am not a professional, I just dated one, so if you're
losing your hearing, go see one :)
</disclaimer>

--
   |||   leo at nurgle.net - KEDR Webradio - http://radio.nurgle.net   |||
   "There are two sides to every issue; one side is right and the other is