[geeks] Nvidia buys out Exluna

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Jul 24 21:58:15 CDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 10:44:21PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >
> > I wonder exactly why Nvidea wanted them.  Clearly Exluna does
> > somethings related to Cg, but not in real time or anything.
> >

> I only hope that either 1) they use the Unix knowledge of the BMRT/Entropy crew
> to make drivers for Unix systems for thier video cards, and b) don't destroy
> the Unix ports of BMRT and Entopy...

According to Shawn, those unix ports are already gone.  And the Nvidia
linux drivers are regarded as being some of the best availabe for
cards under, say $500.  They just refuse to go a standard route in
writing them, and refuse release the specs, and refuse to support
non-linux platforms that don't first pay them lots of money (hence why
everyone is looking at the ATIs which probably aren't bad if someone
other than ATI wrote the driver).

--
Joshua D. Boyd