[geeks] Stupid recording engineers

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Jul 24 09:02:09 CDT 2002

[ On Tuesday, July 23, 2002 at 16:16:04 (-0400), Joshua D Boyd wrote: ]
> Subject: [geeks] Stupid recording engineers
>
> I was listening to a CD at a volume lower than usual.  I heard a sound
> start, and was hearing the drums, but was wondering why I couldn't hear
> the mandolin that starts the song off, and could only barely hear the
> base guitar.  Then I realized that my headphones had accidently been
> set to mono, and that the recording engineer obviously never bothered
> to check whether the CD was mono safe.  Lazy (wo)man.

You're blaming the wrong person and the wrong problem.

Maybe you should check your CD player (or was it the amplifier?) to see
if it's designed to mix stereo into mono or not.  I highly doubt it.
Such settings on consumer gear are likely there only to proprely support
the playing of "mono-only" media (though I've never seen such things! :-)
(or in the case of an amplifier, mono-only inputs, which are then split
and reproduced across both speakers).

You're probably hearing only one side of the recording when you set it
to "mono".

I suggest you've encountered a "User error" in this case.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>