[geeks] HIPPI switch on ebay

Ethan telmnstr at 757.org
Wed Jul 24 00:46:05 CDT 2002

>   HIPPI is generally treated by operating systems as a network
> interface.  I've only ever seen it used in point-to-point
> configurations, but I konw it's possible to run a bunch of nodes into
> a switch...I assume it's just a matter of setting the network
> addresses appropriately and plugging them in.

We run HIPPI at my workplace... TCP/IP over it and all. You can contact
any host jacked into the switch. There is about 5 parallel HIPPI systems
and maybe 3 or 4 serial HIPPI (fiber) systems. It is kind of hard finding
parts these days. STK bought out NPI or whoever they were and killed them
off. (It is all SGI hardware, Challenge XL series to Origin 3800 series).

				-- Ethan