[geeks] QUIET Network Switch

Mike Hebel nimitz at owc.net
Tue Jul 23 18:31:35 CDT 2002

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Mike Hebel wrote:
>

>>3Com Superstacks as long as he has a temporate environment for them to
>>live in.  That and any bad fans on those can easily come from RatShack
>>for replacement.
>

> Are you implying that the fans are supposed to throttle-down when the
> switch is relatively cool?  The ones in mine haven't run at any speed
> other than what I would call "ROAR" for as long as I've had mine
> (SuperStack II/3000).  Is there a firmware setting somewhere that I've
> missed?

No firmware setting but the ones I've run into were really quiet unless
the closet got really cold.  Then they'd start to buzz.  But then those
particular ones were in an uninsulated wiring closet backed up by the
ciderblock outer building wall.

If the fans are loud I think it's time you replaced them.  That's a
small soldering job and an order of parts from DigiKey or Rat Shack.

Mike Hebel