[geeks] Newspaper (fwd)

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Sat Jul 20 08:20:51 CDT 2002

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> Time for a Kurt Huhn-style smackdown.  That would involve calling the
> newspaper and registering a complaint, videotaping the offense,
> getting all the other residents to do the same, as well as withdrawing
> my subscription if things didn't improve.  As a last resort, I would
> call the traffic cops daily until they had someone out there to write
> the guy a hefty ticket.  Most people don't "get it" until you hit them
> where it hurts - their wallet...

Well, I hate to be confrontational...

The *really* *funny* part about this is that the only place a police car
can fit and be hidden is... ... our driveway! They can run RADAR from
there and bust 'em. They haven't seen fit to do so, and tell us that if we
making our own speed bumps, they'll charge us with impeding traffic.

There's also an elderly couple up the road on 24/7 nursing; the nurses /
aids have seen fit to do what they can down the road in spite of the speed
limit sign. I *paced* one of them doing about 62-63 MPH. (All hail the
in-car GPS! Speed accurate to .1 MPH!)

Going that fast in my neighborhood *felt* reckless. And I'm used to doing
70-75 on open (two lane / four lane) highway. I'm also very familiar with
the fact that my car doesn't have perfect stopping distance, and to be on
the lookout for objects that may enter the road. After loosing two dogs to
hit-and-runs in *front* of my house, on a quiet neighborhood street, I've
*made* myself familiar. We have a ditch on the side of the road that is
six feet by six feet; the neighbor right before our house's kids like to
play in the ditch. After realizing the reaction time I had if one of them
jumped in front of my car, I slowed the fsck down to the speed limit.

Hrm... Dad has a new 225MHz frequency counter downstairs; it does a doozy
at start-stop type activity.... two pressure sensors, a pair of hose
pipes.... You can calculate speed from time, you know....

50 in a residential area is 25 MPH over; that an automatic reckless
driving. He'd be looking at a $300 ticket, total.

> And you expected something physical, didn't you :)

Kinda.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <kris at nospam.catonic.net>  TGIFreeBSD IM: 'KrisBSD'
"Everytime my faith in humanity has been tested...humanity has failed."