[geeks] Oh, say it ain't so!

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat Jul 20 08:12:47 CDT 2002

"Tim H." wrote:
> Kurt Huhn <kurt at k-huhn.com> wrote:
>
> > SGI has announced support for the Intel Itanium 2 processor as a part
> > of the company's high-performance computing server family. With this
> > announcement, the company plans to extend its unique system
> > architecture to support Itanium 2 processor-based systems running a
> > high-performance Linux(R) operating system implementation.
>
> umm, OK, am I the only one having problems with the use of the word
> unique in this context?

As I see 'unique' used above, it refers to the existing line of SGI MIPS-based
systems.  In that context, it certainly seems appropriate.  Along that vein, I
saw the Dell commercial last night during Stargate where Intel-based servers
are refered to as being 'not proprietary'.  I just wanted to puke my guts out.
I actually got angry, physically angry.  Karin remarked that my cheeks were
flushed and my nostrils flared - which I apparently do when I get -><- this
close to blowing a fuse...

--
Kurt                   "What me look like, ricecake monster?
kurt at k-huhn.com         Me Cookie Monster!  Me need COOKIE!" --Cookie Monster