[geeks] Weeeh

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jul 19 17:53:38 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 02:59:20PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> Diamonds are measured in points and carats. A point is 1/100th of a
> carat, so 40 points is .4 carats.  It is useful to rememeber that
> diamonds are *measured* by weight (carats being the unit of weight)
> and *graded* by color and clarity.  Most jewelery websites will be
> able to explain this in better terms than I can...

Yeah, I'm familiar with carats.  Never heard of points before in this
context.  I believe the one I have was 0.52ct.  "Good" color and
clarity (or so I'm told, I have the specifics in writing somewhere).
It was left to me by my grandmother.  OK, technically it was left to
my future wife by my grandmother, but the executor of the will thought
that having it made into an engagement ring was allowable.

--
Joshua D. Boyd