[geeks] Oh, say it ain't so!

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jul 19 10:47:01 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 11:41:09AM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> >   It brings up an interesting question, though.  Was the failure of
> > their Intel-based product due Intel, or NT?
>
> Well, after the first 3 machines, SGI's Intel machines weren't all
> that different from other peoples Intel machines.  SGI linux was a
> little better for somethings, but I could get SGI linux without
> purchasing an SGI.

Err, which is to say, I think it was the lack of product
differentiation.  I bet a properly supported linux on the first pair
of workstations (the 330 and 540 maybe?) that borrowed and upgraded
the graphics from the O2, along with a real console monitor, etc, etc,
for a decent price would have taken off.

--
Joshua D. Boyd