[geeks] Wooh - Mac OS X.2

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jul 19 09:04:11 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 08:53:18AM -0500, Simeon Johnston wrote:

> There are at  LEAST quad G4 processors available from different vendors.

But do they run OS X?

> I've seen them from at least 2 vendors (can't remember who though).
> Also from the YellowDog people (terrasoft?)
> *GVS 9000 2U Dual GHz G4*

This machine I believe is basically a mac mobo that's been mounted in
a new case.

> and even cooler....
> The briQ
> http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/briQ/

Yep, yep, rather cool.

> And have you taken a look at MPEG 4?  I haven't seen it myself but the
> graphics guys here are drooling...
> (Quicktime will be one of the first programs to support MPEG 4, which is
> why I mentioned it).

I've been reading bits and pieces about it.  It has some interesting
things, but ultimately it is a content delivery system, not something
meant for authoring from.  Which in one sense puts it out of the realm
of things I deeply care about.  In another sense, it is still cool,
and probably deserves more looking at.  I'm hearing rumors about
embeded java in it, and embeded 3D, amoung other things.

--
Joshua D. Boyd