[geeks] Am I getting too old or something.....

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Thu Jul 18 14:34:29 CDT 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:56:54 -0500 (CDT)
Amy <scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net> wrote:

> That is 98% of learning unix. You will fuck up and you do learn how to
> fix it. It is about the only way. I guarantee if you ask anyone on
> this list, they'll agree that they're still fuckin' up and still
> fixing, even after decades or more of using it. hell, Bill fucked up
> ohno last night. He fixed it, life goes on. You can't break the
> *machine*...always remember that.

I'll agree with that, and add that with Unices, if you get basics down
you can do pretty much anything, but you will also learn what that
command you never noticed does, right after you do it the slow way with
a big ugly cat | grep | sort | grep | sed > /dev/fd0 command line. :-)
Being functional in Unix takes a handfull of commands, being elegant,
well, I ain't there yet.

Tim