[geeks] LaBrea

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 17 10:43:59 CDT 2002

tarpits are an idea that started circulating widely about a year ago. There
are many advantages to them, but only if a human is doing the scanning.
Automated scanning doesn't care if it takes forever to slog though a subnet.

An idea I had was to have a device forward just the ports required and
tarpit the rest. This would work for a single IP. This is a feature that
should be implemented in a firewall or router. I suppose I should pattent
the idea but have no idea how to go about it.

James Fogg, Network Engineer
Vicinity Corporation - New Hampshire
(603) 442-1751