[geeks] Am I getting too old or something.....

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Tue Jul 16 21:44:08 CDT 2002

> Jenn, my wife is like most of the users I support.  She doesn't care
> what's in the box, what runs on the box, what chip is in the box.  It's
> an appliance, it's supposed to run fast, do it's job and stay the hell
> out of her way.  So, I keep her PeeCee upgraded and maintained, with her
> particular set of app's loaded and leave her alone. If she's happy with
> it, then we're both happy.  She can go off and work in her "pointy
> clicky world" (I've got to remember that) and I can go off and take
> something apart or  reinstall something.

Maria is the same way.  She's got her desktop and laptop
both running Windows 98SE.  They do exactly what she needs
them to do (Word, Excel, $company VPN, browser, and for the
desktop, printing and faxing to an HP LaserJet 3100se).
There's really no need for her to switch to something else
just because I don't like Microsoft.  Besides, the VPN
software she uses (which is different from the one I
have to use) is Windows-only, as is the fax/copy functions
of the 3100se.

Like you, I make sure her systems are working, download any
updates that are needed, and make sure her virus software
is updated (fortunately this is done automatically every
night).  She knows how to operate them, and if she has a
problem she can't fix she calls me.

This reminds me I have to migrate her from the old laptop
(Compaq Presario 1800XL180 - PIII600, 15" XGA) to the new
laptop I just finished building (it's more-or-less a Dell
Inspiron 8000 - PIII850, 15" SXGA+).  That's something
she wants me to do.  She doesn't want to try to get
everything moved over herself when I can do it faster
and easier.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net