Learning was Re: [geeks] Am I getting too old or something.....

Jennifer Sharp jensharp at psychoses.org
Tue Jul 16 18:36:21 CDT 2002

>  Many times I've fielded questions about "getting started" at being
>more than a casual computer user.  In nearly all cases, when they
>can't wrap their brain around something, the problem seems to be that
>they're not starting "back" far enough conceptually.

Exactly.

>  I'm not suggesting starting by studying the physics of how electrons
>move through wires...but I WOULD suggest learning about what a
>microprocessor is and how they work.  Have James dig you up a
>single-board computer with a hex keypad & display, and key in some
>hand-assembled programs that just blink lights or count or something.

That would be perfect! Just can't get anyone to get me started.

>they've
>conditioned themselves to only BE ABLE TO learn what someone else
>teaches them.

I am one of those rare people who actually CAN take it past what I am
taught. I just need a place to start.

I just need a hand up, a beginning. Starting in the middle doesn't work.
Especially when reading from a book. I have explained my problem to James
and like he said, unfortunately, he is not a good teacher. I don't like
forcing him to do it but if he isn't at least quit bitching at me about how
my OS is shit.

--Jenn
Not yelling.