[geeks] Am I getting too old or something.....

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jul 16 15:49:11 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 04:24:59PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > You have lightwave?  You suck.  Did you check that you lights are on?
> >

> Lightwave 5.6 on Irix is *easy* to get.  Really, almost embaressingly so.  I
> have it on my Octane.  It's a pain in the ass to deal with though.  Scene
> composition is good, modeling is an excercise in futility...

What do you mean by easy?  I didn't think that NewTek still sold it,
and I don't often see it on ebay.

What are you trying to model, and how are you trying to do so?  In my
experience, metanurbs aren't so good (I like them in theory, but I
always had trouble making them behave), but everything else is pretty
sharp.

Well, it was pretty sharp.  It's no maya, and as such, character
deformations are a bloody pain.  There are morph targets, but no good
sequencer for them. There isn't any great way to keep feet from
sliding on the ground (you can use bones with the ground as the parent
to do it, but then IK becomes pretty much useless, and you have to
take care that the hips don't go wierd since you can't have a bone
with two parents).  And on and on.  A lot of the short comings were
made up for by plugins, but of course, those aren't available on Irix
for the most part.

--
Joshua D. Boyd