[geeks] Am I getting too old or something.....

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Tue Jul 16 02:02:32 CDT 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Michael Schiller wrote:
> Yes, I know. This email address is temporary, as soon as my echeck
> donation to dyndns.org clears it will work again. I've basically given
> up on trying to get IPs so I can do my own DNS from the cable company,
> it's hard enough just getting in touch with them for normal stuff, and
> subnets definitely is well over the heads of most of the techs I've
> talked to at the local Charter office :)

Your `average' Charter tech eats things smarter than itself (like mashed
potatoes). Also, Call Center != `tech'. They are telephone weenies.
Nothing more. And unless they are headend techs, they probably aren't
Charter employees. Charter subcontracts the labor to install new lines
(coax and fiber) as well as the installs themselves.

You have to piss people off to get in contact with the people that can
make things happen. (i.e.: `pop' your cable modem's speed limits per
2600's article in this quarter's mag.) But they aren't going to do
anything special for anyone; they sell a service that is geared to dumb
people, not service-fixated geeks. They are going to do the minimum
necessary because they are a large company and large companies aren't
agile -- plus, people like having job security.

But don't ask me why I know so much about Charter. ;-)

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <kris at nospam.catonic.net>  TGIFreeBSD IM: 'KrisBSD'
"Everytime my faith in humanity has been tested...humanity has failed."