[geeks] digicam envy

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Jul 15 10:50:00 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 11:20:00AM -0400, robert brooke gravitt wrote:
> > I've got about two hours of clips so far (about 10 CDs worth of Quicktime;
> > at one point about 40G worth of DV-quality captures on HD)...
>
> Me too. My wedding & various other sundry events captured on DV tape.
> Connect to Mac, open iMovie/FCP, import. Blam!  Oh, did I mention I have a
> FireWire RAID and & external FireWire 24x Burner on the same channel?
> I don't have any performance problems with FireWire/iLink/1394.

Yes, but were you using the burner and raid at the same time?  And are
the burner and raid on the same firewire chanel?

Actually, looking at at Apples site again, it appears that Apple's
recommendation not to try to capture from firewire cameras to firewire
harddrives (as well as the trouble I witnessed trying to do so) might
have been due to a bug in their firewire drivers since their firewire
pages talk about how firewire 2.7 fixed the older problems.

Really, I always thought it was pathetic for such a problem to exist
in the first place.  If a glitch causes a performance drop, then why
not just resend that frame rather than drop it?  But no, they had to
act like it was real video rather than just a data stream fron another
digital device.

--
Joshua D. Boyd