[geeks] RE: [rescue] OT: ADD - MOVING to geeks

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Wed Jul 10 13:41:26 CDT 2002

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Mike Hebel wrote:
> There's the:  I have worked a third of my life for people that I really
> gave a damn about who didn't give a damn about me and all I got was
> right back where I started.  About the only thing I haven't stooped to
> yet is delivery work.

I think the suckiest job I ever had was as a maid. Talk about
back-breaking work for shit wages...To this day I balk at doing laundry.

> getting the hang of that last part - nothing like being poor to teach
> you how to _not_ spend.)

I remember debating prices on a small tin of sour cream. It sucked. My
mother was pretty floored by this--I wasn't known for cutting cost
corners for a long time. While Bill might laugh at this, I still wind
myself up over bills and money and things. Just more quietly now :)

> And last but not least the Mechanic's Syndrome:  I like computers but
> I'm so sick of fixing them for other people that I don't want to work on
> my own.

Ew. Been there. When I was still doing accounting, I'd come home at night
too sick and tired to balance my own checkbook. Imagine the problems that
occured due to this ;) (I can laugh about it now, thankfully)

> Needless to say there are others but like anything I'm just trying to
> handle them one at a time.  Seriously considering a non-tech field job
> at this point though.

Do what will make you happiest, Mike. At the end of it all, you're the one
whose opinion matters most. :)

--a