[geeks] RE: [rescue] OT: ADD - MOVING to geeks

Mike Hebel nimitz at owc.net
Wed Jul 10 13:19:06 CDT 2002

Amy wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Mike Hebel wrote:
>
>>Still fighting that one a little right now - even at age 33.
>

> What's your horror story?

Which one?

There's the:  I have worked a third of my life for people that I really
gave a damn about who didn't give a damn about me and all I got was
right back where I started.  About the only thing I haven't stooped to
yet is delivery work.

Then there's:  I'm 33 and I've never lived more than 2 years outside of
my mom's house due to paying money to my parents when my father was
unemployed and my failure at money managemennt.  (I think I'm finally
getting the hang of that last part - nothing like being poor to teach
you how to _not_ spend.)

Or the ever popular:  I'm so sick of working for someone and being
dependant on their generosity for a check so I want to do something
independant but all the people around me want me to just get another job.

Throw in:  I'm steadily having more and more problems with verbal
cognition  (25 cent words there) each day.  The dyslexia seems to be
getting worse but since I don't have any medical insurance I can't get
this one checked out.

And last but not least the Mechanic's Syndrome:  I like computers but
I'm so sick of fixing them for other people that I don't want to work on
my own.

Needless to say there are others but like anything I'm just trying to
handle them one at a time.  Seriously considering a non-tech field job
at this point though.

Miek Hebel