[geeks] slick

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Jul 10 13:30:15 CDT 2002

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 02:25:00PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> I just managed to suck a 50-100% speedup[1] out of a program that has
> plagued a man with slowness for a year and it only took about 10
> minutes.

Whoops, I forgot the moral.  It is that it pays to spend a few seconds
looking for functions being called too after when computer code runs
to slow.  In this case, the program was polling a serial port twice
per frame when only once was needed.  I expect that significant speed
improvements would be seen by moving the serial polling code to a
different thread, but that would require more than 10 minutes to fix.

--
Joshua D. Boyd