[geeks] Re: RE: [rescue] OT: ADD - MOVING to geeks

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Wed Jul 10 13:02:34 CDT 2002

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > And at this point it's all self-induced and continued. I can't speak for
> > the majority of folks here, but I have a very low tolerance for those who
> > wallow in self-pity because they're too afraid/whatever to change their life.
>
>   I generally agree with this, but you must admit that there are lots of
> situations in which circumstances can blind a person to the fact that
> they actually have the power to change their life.

90% of the time the situation is that everyone's saying "poor you" instead
of "here's what you could do to change things and how".

See, right now people should be saying "Poor Amy, she shouldn't have dumped
a quarter cup of sugar on her cheerios this morning. She shoulda been good
and just taken 'em neat." This would do nothing except propel me to put
more sugar on my cheerios in retaliation.

What might have worked is if someone could have said "How bout a teaspoon
of sugar instead so you don't wind up ill this afternoon?"

Big difference between should've and could-you-beacause when it comes to
dealing with cheerios, emotions, and depression.

--a