[geeks] Re: RE: [rescue] OT: ADD - MOVING to geeks

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Wed Jul 10 12:42:08 CDT 2002

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Beth Roberts wrote:
> I'm sorry, but I have to call "Bullshit!" here. Anyone capable of uttering
> this statement is a person who has been given by the Fates a free pass
> through the hell that is true, deep, soul-destroying Depression with a
> capital 'D'.

And at this point it's all self-induced and continued. I can't speak for
the majority of folks here, but I have a very low tolerance for those who
wallow in self-pity because they're too afraid/whatever to change their life.

> I don't wish to be rude, but I really must point out that it is impossible
> for someone who hasn't spent significant time stuck in a pit of
> self-loathing and a wish to die just to end the pain to understand the
> mindset and difficulties of one who has.

We all went through adolescence. I'd say we all know what a pit of
self-loathing is like. The difference is, some of us got over it and some
of us are addicted to the attention that that public self-loathing brings.

> So please, don't pretend that you do. Just as a fully-functional champion
> athlete cannot begin to comprehend the daily struggle of someone like, say,
> Christopher Reeve

Who was a fucking moron for showjumping with a horse he couldn't
control...

, a resiliently happy person with self-confidence can't
> really understand (and thus shouldn't blithely dismiss) the problems of
> someone for whom sadness and self-hate is the norm. They occupy separate
> worlds, and different rules apply.

That's a cop-out. As far as I'm concerned, every human being has two
choices. They can eat chicken shit or chicken salad for lunch. It's a
persons' *choice*. There are no different rules. Some people choose to be
miserable because it gives them pitypoints instead of picking their
fucking feet up and standing on 'em. That's what you have to do to get
over it. Pick up your feet and stand on em instead of leaning on someone
else's emotional walking stick.

> My guess: luck. Genes, upbringing, education, friends, experiences, all
> pointed you toward and shaped you into a happy, resilient person. Be
> thankful, but please don't denigrate those who aren't so lucky by belittling
> their troubles.

I think I'm gonna call bullshit on this one. I'll denigrate whomever and
whatever I like when I see that they consistently refuse to listen to
logic/help because they enjoy the attention saying "I R DUMB" brings on.

--a