[geeks] Re: RE: [rescue] OT: ADD - MOVING to geeks

Beth Roberts beth at bethroberts.com
Wed Jul 10 10:37:59 CDT 2002

Kris Kirby wrote:
> > > Don't put yourself down or you'll end up stuck there.
> >
> > I try not to, but it has grown to become a habit, one I wish it were as
> > easy to break, as it is to diagnose.
>
> Bah. We all get depressed at one time or another. I've just been ass-raped
> by a heartless corporation. You don't see me crying in my beer.

I'm sorry, but I have to call "Bullshit!" here. Anyone capable of uttering
this statement is a person who has been given by the Fates a free pass
through the hell that is true, deep, soul-destroying Depression with a
capital 'D'.

I don't wish to be rude, but I really must point out that it is impossible
for someone who hasn't spent significant time stuck in a pit of
self-loathing and a wish to die just to end the pain to understand the
mindset and difficulties of one who has.

So please, don't pretend that you do. Just as a fully-functional champion
athlete cannot begin to comprehend the daily struggle of someone like, say,
Christopher Reeve, a resiliently happy person with self-confidence can't
really understand (and thus shouldn't blithely dismiss) the problems of
someone for whom sadness and self-hate is the norm. They occupy separate
worlds, and different rules apply.

> I wish I could tell you why I am so upbeat, but I truthfully don't even
> know. It's not chemically induced, and I'm not religious.... :-?

My guess: luck. Genes, upbringing, education, friends, experiences, all
pointed you toward and shaped you into a happy, resilient person. Be
thankful, but please don't denigrate those who aren't so lucky by belittling
their troubles.

-Beth, Depressive who is blessedly currently in remission (thanks to
chemicals and luck)