[geeks] Rip-off computer rental companies

martijn at smartie.xs4all.nl martijn at smartie.xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 10 07:42:29 CDT 2002

>> While checking the ex-rental computer market I came across
>> a company called Livingston... (I'll spare you the URL, but
>> with .nl attached you'll get close)
>
>  They are actually not excusively Dutch. I think .de is the main office
> in
> Europe. I've got several items from Livingston and they were priced
> quite  reasonably. Although I don't think I bought them directly from
> Livingston.

yeah, I know, I thought they were British...

>> I see there a HP 715/50 with 32 MB memory, 1 GB harddisk for a
>> whopping: 1149 Euro's (For the US people, about $ 1100?)
>
>  Hey, it's an asking price. Can you blame them? It's worth a try.

And they're tring for more than 8 months now...

>> I got my HP 715/80 with 64 MB and extra 2 GB harddisk for the exact
>> amount of.... absolutely NOTHING. They where throwing it away at the
>> place I had my internship.
>
>  Giant printer company that is !Xerox? They had lots of HP stuff when I
> was

No, it was NIKHEF, our national high-energy physics research institute.

> there last year. By the looks of it, they were going to throw a lot of
> stuff  out soon (which would be about now). But so far I haven't seen
> any unusual  number of Hp machines for sale.

Hmm, where should i go to catch some interresting stuff?

>  Noname alpha boards sometimes went for fl. 5,- at computer markets in
> .nl,
> there were times when stands had multiple pallets stacked with noname
> boards  MIB behind them.

I got mine for fl. 25,-. The memory i bought for it was actually more
expensive than the whole board...

- Martijn